Skip to main content
An official website of the United States government
Building icon
The .gov means it's official
Federal government websites always use a .gov or .mil domain. Before sharing sensitive information online, make sure you’re on a .gov or .mil site by inspecting your browser’s address (or “location”) bar.
Lock icon
This site is also protected by an SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) certificate that’s been signed by the U.S. government. The https:// means all transmitted data is encrypted — in other words, any information or browsing history that you provide is transmitted securely.
Archived News Article: Information may be out of date
August 17, 2022

5 Student Benefit Programs You Need to Check Out!

5 Student Benefit Programs You Need to Check Out!
5 Student Benefit Programs You Need to Check Out!

Navigating education and the costs that come with it can be tricky but is here to help. From government aid to fellowships, we cover it all! In this article, we will highlight five student programs to help you succeed:

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

The first step in your financial aid process is filling out your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). FAFSA is an application used by most colleges, universities, and career schools for awarding federal, state, and college-funded student aid. Complete the form online and use it to apply for grants, loans, and work-study opportunities that you may be eligible for. This is a great way to start your benefit search and help you find new programs and resources.

Student Career Experience Program

Looking for experience and employment? The Student Career Experience Program (SCEP) is a paid student program that offers valuable work experience directly related to your field of study. It provides formal periods of work and study while you are attending school. After successfully completing the program and your education, you may be eligible for permanent employment. For more information, visit the Student Employment Programs page.

Federal Work-Study Program

The Federal Work-Study (FWS) Program funds part-time employment for undergraduate and graduate students with financial need. FWS helps students earn money to help pay post-secondary education costs. The program encourages community service work and work related to the student's course of study. The total award depends on when the student applies, the level of need, and the funding level of the school.

Fulbright Programs

Want to travel, learn, and experience new cultures? The Fulbright U.S. Student Program offers fellowships for graduating college seniors and graduate students. Fulbright allows you to study, conduct research, and/or teach English abroad. During the fellowship you will work, live, and learn from the people of your host country. Facilitating a cultural experience through direct interaction within the classroom, field, and home. This program is managed by the U.S. Department of State. For more information, please visit the Fulbright U.S. Student Program website.

Federal Pell Grants

The Federal Pell Grant Program provides grants to low-income students to promote access to postsecondary education. Grants are awarded to students who have not yet received a bachelor's degree or who are enrolled in qualifying post-baccalaureate programs for teacher certification. Unlike student loans, Federal Pell Grants do not need to be paid back. However, students may not receive Federal Pell Grant funds from more than one school at a time and for no more than 12 semesters.

Want to see even more benefits that can help you? Try taking the Benefit Finder to find government assistance you may be eligible to receive. You can also browse resources in our Education and Training category. Here you can filter your search by state or subcategory to see benefits based on your needs.

Compass logo

Compass Newsletter

Stay connected for important news and updates on federal benefits you may be eligible to receive.