Assistance for Low Income Families
Did you know you may be eligible to receive food stamps, medical insurance or a tax credit to help your family as you transition from welfare to work? In many cases when a family leaves the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) program because a parent goes to work, they are still eligible for a number of work support programs. These programs cover a range of assistance, including food stamps, the Earned Income Tax Credit, child care assistance and the State Children's Health Insurance Program. For families who qualify, participating in these programs can give them valuable help in the transition from welfare to work. There is evidence however, that many eligible families are not getting all the assistance available to them. In 2001, only 52 percent of the families with earnings who qualified for the Food Stamps Program participated in it. Additionally, the majority of low income children without health insurance are eligible for Medicaid or the State Children's Health Insurance Program, but are not enrolled. To help you find more information on work support programs, is highlighting some of the benefit programs available for low income families.

Many U.S. States have benefit programs for low income individuals and families listed on Visit the State Program List to see the programs your State has on the site.

  • Child Care and Development Fund
    The Child Care and Development Fund provides assistance to low-income families who need child care due to work, work-related training and/or attending school. For more information visit

  • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)
    This program offers federal income tax credit for low-income working individuals and families. For more information visit

  • Food Stamp Program
    The Food Stamp Program provides benefits to low-income people that they can use to buy food to improve their diets. Food stamp recipients spend their benefits (in the form of paper coupons or electronic benefits on debit cards) to buy eligible food in authorized retail food stores. For more information visit

  • State Children's Health Insurance Program
    The State Children's Health Insurance Program (SCHIP) is a partnership between the Federal and State Governments that provides health coverage to uninsured children whose families earn too much to qualify for Medicaid but too little to afford private coverage. You must check with the SCHIP office in the state you live in to confirm your family's eligibility to receive benefits. Important: Names for this program vary by state. If you are not sure which office to contact, contact the main Medicaid Hotline in your state and ask for the office that deals with children's health insurance. For more information visit