Unclaimed Money
Did you know the U.S. government may owe you money? Government agencies have millions of dollars of unclaimed money and other property, including pensions, mortgage refunds, savings bonds, and federally insured bank accounts lost when a bank failed or credit union liquidated. Money or property can revert to the government when its original owner cannot be found. In some cases, this happens through no fault of the property owner, when their name or address is misspelled. In other cases, a name or address change, a bank or business bankruptcy, or a person's death can result in unclaimed property. To help you find out if the government owes you money, GovBenefits.gov is highlighting some of the resources you can use to search for unclaimed money and property.

Additional resources for unclaimed government money and property are available through the U.S. government's official Web portal www.FirstGov.gov on the Government May Owe You Money page.

To search for accounts lost when a bank or credit union closed, visit these sites:

  • The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) repays insured account holders of failed banks.
  • Members of liquidated federally insured credit unions can search for unclaimed shares through the National Credit Union Administration (NCUA).

For information on lost employee benefits, these sites may be helpful:

Visit these sites for other sources of unclaimed funds: