Resources for People with Disabilities

Earlier this month, hosted a Facebook Question and Answer (Q&A) session for citizens with questions about disability benefits. During the session, worked with experts from the U.S. Social Security Administration (SSA), the Department of Labor’s Office of Disability Employment Policy (ODEP), and the Veterans Benefits Administration (VBA) to help hundreds of people get their questions about disability assistance answered. If you missed the event, but are interested in learning more, is highlighting five common questions and resources from the event below.


  1. Citizen Question: I’m disabled and need financial assistance. Are there any programs for me?


    SSA’s Answer: Millions of Americans with disabilities find financial help through Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI). To be eligible, you must have a qualifying disability and have earned sufficient Social Security work credits through your employment history. You can apply online as soon as you become disabled. Use the Benefits Eligibility Screening Tool, which uses the Benefit Finder technology, to find out which Social Security programs you may be eligible to receive.


  2. Citizen Question: I receive SSDI, but want to get back to work without losing my benefits. Is there any way I can do this?


    SSA’s Answer: It’s possible to get back to work without losing your benefits. The Social Security Ticket to Work Program is a free, voluntary program that helps Social Security disability beneficiaries re-enter the workforce and become financially independent, all while keeping their benefits. To learn more, visit the Ticket to Work site and view resources that might be helpful to you.


  3. Citizen Question: I’m disabled, but my employer refuses to provide accommodations for me. What can I do?


    ODEP’s Answer: If you feel that your rights as a person with disabilities may have been violated, you can contact the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) National Network, which provides individual guidance on the ADA and other disability-related laws. You can reach the ADA National Network by calling Toll Free Voice or TTY at 1-800-949-4234 or sending an email.


  4. What will happen to my disability benefits once I reach retirement age?


    SSA’s Answer: Once you reach full retirement age, your Social Security disability benefits will automatically transfer to Social Security retirement. Your benefits will not be interrupted during this transition.


  5. I’m a disabled Veteran. How do I get help with going back to school and getting a job?


    VBA’s Answer: The Department of Veterans Affairs offers Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment services designed to help Veterans with job training, employment accommodations, resume development, and job-seeking skills coaching. You can get more information about the program, services offered, and how and where to apply here.


We hope these resources will help you on your path to government benefits. We encourage you to take our Benefit Finder questionnaire to see what other government benefits you may be eligible to receive. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter to stay updated on more events like the Facebook Q&A, and don’t hesitate to provide us feedback through our Contact Us web form.


Disability Assistance