Skip to main content
An official website of the United States government
Building icon
The .gov means it's official
Federal government websites always use a .gov or .mil domain. Before sharing sensitive information online, make sure you’re on a .gov or .mil site by inspecting your browser’s address (or “location”) bar.
Lock icon
This site is also protected by an SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) certificate that’s been signed by the U.S. government. The https:// means all transmitted data is encrypted — in other words, any information or browsing history that you provide is transmitted securely.
Archived News Article: Information may be out of date
September 28, 2022

Explore Housing Help with

Explore Housing Help with
Explore Housing Help with

Finding housing assistance can be hard to do on your own. With so many types of loans, grants, and aid programs, it can be hard to know what is best for you and your family. This article is going to look at programs that help both homeowners and renters with housing needs. 

Single Family Housing Repair Loans and Grants

As your home ages, there can be expensive repairs needed to keep your family safe. The Single Family Housing Repair Loans and Grants, also known as the Section 504 Home Repair program, gives loans to very-low-income homeowners to repair, improve, or modernize their homes, as well as grants to elderly very-low-income homeowners to remove health and safety hazards.

To be eligible, applicants must:

  • Be the homeowner and live in the house.
  • Have no other affordable credit option.
  • Have a household income less than your country limit. Find your county limit here.
  • For grants, you must be 62 or older and not be able to repay a repair loan.

Loans can be used to repair, improve, or modernize homes or remove health and safety hazards. Grants must be used only to remove health and safety hazards. The maximum loan is $40,000, and the maximum grant is $10,000. Loans and grants can be combined for up to $50,000 in benefits. 

To get started, contact a United States Department of Agriculture home loan specialist in your area. Applications are accepted year-round through your local Rural Development office.

Housing Choice Voucher Program (Section 8)

The Housing Choice Voucher Program is the federal government's program for helping very low-income families, the elderly, and the disabled to afford decent, safe, and sanitary housing. This program allows you to find your own housing, including single-family homes, townhomes, and apartments, as long as the landlord agrees to participate, and is not limited to units located in subsidized housing projects.

Section 8 is designed to allow families to move when needed without losing their benefits. If you need to move, let your local public housing agency know ahead of time, follow all leasing guidance, and find acceptable alternate housing.

To apply, contact your local public housing agency. If you have more questions about the Housing Choice Voucher Program, contact the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development Office nearest to you.

These are just a few of the housing benefits available. For program specific or application questions, please contact your local HUD approved housing counseling agency. We also recommended you check out the Benefit Finder to find more benefits you may be eligible to receive and direct you to the agency to apply.

Compass logo

Compass Newsletter

Stay connected for important news and updates on federal benefits you may be eligible to receive.