Service-Disabled Veterans Insurance (S-DVI) is life insurance for Veterans who have received a service-connected disability rating by the Department of Veterans Affairs. The basic S-DVI program, commonly referred to as "RH Insurance", insures eligible Veterans for up to $10,000 of coverage. Veterans who have the basic S-DVI coverage and are totally disabled are eligible to have their premiums waived. If a waiver is granted, totally disabled Veterans may apply for additional coverage of up to $30,000 under the Supplemental S-DVI Program. Premiums for Supplemental S-DVI coverage, however, cannot be waived.
General Program Requirements
In order to qualify for S-DVI, you must be a Veteran of the uniformed services who meets the following criteria:
- You were released from active duty under other than dishonorable conditions on or after April 25, 1951; AND
- You were rated for a service-connected disability (even if only 0 percent); AND
- You are in good health except for any service-connected conditions; AND
- You apply within 2 years from the date VA grants your new service-connected disability
Your Next StepsThe following information will lead you to the next steps to apply for this program.
To complete an application online, visit our Automated Forms website. First time users must register to use the site.
Program Contact Information
For more information, visit our Service-Disabled Veterans Insurance webpage.
If you have questions:
- Visit the Inquiry Routing & Information System (IRIS) website to search Frequently Asked Questions or ask a question on-line
- Call 1-800-827-1000
- Call 1-800-829-4833, if you are hearing impaired
To apply for additional benefits and view your benefit status, open an eBenefits Premium account. eBenefits is a one-stop source for information on VA benefits and services. With a free Premium level eBenefits account, Veterans, Servicemembers and their family members can conduct self-service transactions such as checking claim status information, GI Bill enrollment, and obtaining copies of civil service preference letters, DD Form 214, and other personal information. For further information and to register for a free Premium level account, visit the eBenefits website.