The Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB) is an educational assistance program enacted by Congress to attract high quality men and women into the Armed Forces. The MGIB-Active Duty program provides up to 36 months of education benefits to those who have served on active duty.
General Program Requirements
You may be an eligible Veteran if:
- You have an Honorable Discharge, and
- You have a High School Diploma (or equivalent) - or 12 hours of college credit, and
- You meet the requirements under one of the four categories, listed on the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty page
Your Next StepsThe following information will lead you to the next steps to apply for this program.
Program Contact Information
For more information, please visit the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs' (VA) Education and Training page.
If you have questions:
- Visit the GI Bill customer service page, to search Frequently Asked Questions or ask a question electronically
- Call 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551)
- For TDD/TYY use 711
To apply for additional benefits and view your benefit status, open an eBenefits Premium account. eBenefits is a one-stop source for information on Department of Defense and Department of Veterans Affairs benefits and services. With a free Premium level eBenefits account, Veterans, Servicemembers and their family members can conduct self-service transactions such as checking claim status information, GI Bill enrollment, and obtaining copies of civil service preference letters, DD214, and other personal information. For further information and to register for a free Premium level account, visit the eBenefits website.