Managing Agency Minnesota

Program Description

The Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP) uses energy conservation techniques to reduce the cost of home energy by an estimated percent. A primary priority for WAP projects is to correct health and safety hazards and potential life threatening conditions. 

All homeowners and renters who are income eligible for Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP) are income eligible for WAP. Priority is given to households with at least one elderly or disabled member, or with children, and to customers with the highest heating costs or energy burden. WAP is federally funded through the U.S. Department of Energy.

General Program Requirements

In order to qualify for this benefit program, you must be a resident of the state of Minnesota.

In order to qualify, you must have an annual household income (before taxes) that is below the following amounts:

Household Size* Maximum Income Level (Per Year)
1 $24,280
2 $32,920
3 $41,560
4 $50,200
5 $58,840
6 $67,480
7 $76,120
8 $84,760

*For households with more than eight people, add $8,640 per additional person. Always check with the appropriate managing agency to ensure the most accurate guidelines.

If you receive Supplemental Security Income or Temporary Assistance for Needy Families, you are automatically eligible to receive weatherization services.

Your Next Steps

The following information will lead you to the next steps to apply for this program.

Application Process

To apply, please contact your local Weatherization service provider.

For additional contact information, visit the Grantee Contacts page to locate Minnesota's WAP administrator.

Program Contact Information

For more information, please visit Minnesota's Weatherization Assistance website.

To ask about the Weatherization Assistance program, please call the Energy Information Center at:

Local Twin Cities area: 651-539-1886

Greater MN only: 1-800-657-3710

Didn't find what you were looking for?

Try using our Benefit Finder questionnaire to view a list of benefit programs you may be eligible to receive.