Skip to Content Skip to Content
Benefit Details
Spina Bifida Health Care Program
Managing Agency Veterans Health Administration (VHA)

Program Description

The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Spina Bifida Health Care Benefits Program covers most health care services and supplies that are medically or psychologically necessary. The VA can also reimburse expenses for travel to and from your doctor or health care facility. Some services require specific advance approval or preauthorization.  The Spina Bifida Health Care Benefits Program is administered by the Chief Business Office Purchased Care located in Denver, CO.

General Program Requirements

If you have any form of Spina Bifida (other than Spina Bifida Occulta) and your father or mother served in Vietnam or near the Korean Demilitarized Zone, VA may be able to pay for some of your health care.

Your birth father or mother must have:
  • Served in Vietnam during the period from January 9, 1962, through May 7, 1975, OR
  • Served in or near the Korean demilitarized zone (DMZ) during the period from April 1, 1968, through August 31, 1971; and have been exposed to herbicides.

VA has no requirements regarding the character of the parent's discharge or the length of his or her service.

Your Next Steps

The following information will lead you to the next steps to apply for this benefit.

Application Process

To complete an application, use VA Form 21-0304, "Benefits for Certain Children with Disabilities Born of Vietnam & Certain Korea Service Veterans."

When you complete the form, send it to:

VA Regional Office
Veterans Service Center (339/21)
Box 25126
Denver, CO 80225

Program Contact Information

For more information, visit the VA CWVV page.
If you have questions:
To apply for additional Veterans' benefits and view your benefit status, open an eBenefits Premium account. eBenefits is a one-stop source for information on Department of Defense and Department of Veterans Affairs benefits and services. With a free Premium level eBenefits account, Veterans and Servicemembers can conduct self-service transactions such as checking claim status information, GI Bill enrollment, and obtaining copies of civil service preference letters, DD214, and other personal information. For further information and to register for a free Premium level account, visit