Program DescriptionVA Spina Bifida Health Care Benefits Program covers most health care services and supplies that are medically or psychologically necessary. The VA can also reimburse expenses for travel to and from your doctor or health care facility. Some services require specific advance approval or preauthorization. The Spina Bifida Health Care Benefits Program is administered by the Chief Business Office Purchased Care located in Denver, CO.
General Program RequirementsIf you have any form of Spina Bifida (other than Spina Bifida Occulta) and you are a birth child of certain Korea or Vietnam Veterans, VA may be able to pay for some of your health care.
Your birth father or mother must have:
- Served in Vietnam during the period from January 9, 1962, through May 7, 1975, OR
- Served in or near the Korean demilitarized zone (DMZ) during the period from September 1, 1967, through August 31, 1971; and have been exposed to herbicides.
VA has no requirements regarding the character of the parent's discharge or the length of his or her service.
Your Next StepsThe following information will lead you to the next steps to apply for this benefit.
Application ProcessTo complete an application, use VA Form 21-0304, "Benefits for Certain Children with Disabilities Born of Vietnam & Certain Korea Service Veterans."
When you complete the form, send it to:
VA Regional Office
Veterans Service Center (339/21)
Denver, CO 80225
Program Contact Information
For more information, visit the VA Spina Bifida Health Care Benefits Program page.
If you have questions:
- Visit Inquiry Routing & Information System (IRIS) to search Frequently Asked Questions or ask a question on-line
- View the informational brochure
- Call 1-888-820-1756 for information about the Spina Bifida Health Care Benefits Program
- Call 303-914-2900 for information about the monetary benefit through the VA Regional Office in Denver, CO