Program DescriptionThe Veterans Administration (VA) may be able to reimburse you:
- With a mileage allowance (in most cases),
- By paying for special kinds of transportation (ambulance, wheelchair van etc.) when such transportation is considered necessary for VA-authorized travel.
The current allowable reimbursement amount is 41.5 cents per mile with a $3.00 deductible for each one-way visit, or $6.00 for each round-trip visit.
Upon reaching $18.00 in deductibles or six one-way (three round) trips, travel payments made for the balance of that particular month will be free of deductible charges. A waiver of these deductibles is afforded to eligible veterans with low income.
To receive reimbursement for special mode transportation, you must meet requirements and be traveling to a VA or VA-authorized non-VA facility for a scheduled appointment.
General Program RequirementsIn a number of situations, VA can provide reimbursement to Veterans and dependents who must travel to receive VA services.
Eligibility in this case is based solely on your needing to travel to receive, from VA:
- Health care
- A compensation or pension examination
- Vocational rehabilitation services
- Any counseling for Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance that VA requires the student to attend
In most cases, this travel occurs between your home and a VA health care facility or a VA regional office.
Your Next StepsThe following information will lead you to the next steps to apply for this benefit.
Application ProcessFor more information, see the Program Contact Information below.
Program Contact Information
- Visit https://iris.custhelp.com/ to search Frequently Asked Questions or ask a question on-line
- Call 1-877-222-8387