Skip to Content
Benefit Details
VA - Survivors' Payments - Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC)
Managing Agency Veterans Benefits Administration (VBA)

Program Description

Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC) is a monthly benefit paid to eligible survivors of deceased veterans.

General Program Requirements

To qualify for this benefit, you must be the surviving spouse or child of a veteran who:
  • died in active military service or as a result of a service-connected disability
  • had a disability continuously rated totally disabling for a certain length of time before death

Surviving parents may qualify for Parent's Dependency and Indemnity Compensation, which is a needs-based benefit. For more information on this benefit, see Parent's Dependency and Indemnity Compensation

If death was after service, the veteran's discharge from service must have been given under other than dishonorable conditions.

There is no requirement as to length of service.

National Guard and Reserve members who were activated for federal military service and later separated are considered to be veterans.

Commissioned Officers of the Public Health Service and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration are considered to be active duty members and veterans, once discharged.

Your Next Steps

The following information will lead you to the next steps to apply for this benefit.

Application Process

Spouses and children should apply for DIC by completing an "Application for Dependency and Indemnity Compensation, Death Pension and Accrued Benefits by a Surviving Spouse or Child" (VA Form 21-534).

Parents should apply for DIC by completing an "Application for Dependency and Indemnity Compensation by Parent(s)" (VA Form 21-535).

VA can send you an application form if you call 1-800-827-1000. You can also download the form at

Program Contact Information

Additional information on this program may be obtained from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs at this address:, then click on the "Dependents and Survivors' Benefits" link.

If you have questions about this benefit or you need an application, you can call VA at this toll-free number:

People who are hearing impaired may call this toll-free TTY number: