Program DescriptionDependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC) is a tax free monthly benefit paid to eligible survivors of military Servicemembers who died in the line of duty or eligible survivors of Veterans whose death resulted from a service-related injury or disease.
General Program RequirementsTo qualify for this benefit, you must be the eligible surviving spouse or dependent child of a military Servicemember or Veteran who:
- died while serving on active duty, active duty for training, or inactive duty training, OR
- died as a result of a service-connected injury or disease, OR
- died as a result of a non-service connected injury or disease, and who was totally disabled from his/her service-connected disabilities for
- at least 10 years immediately preceding death, OR
- since the Veteran's release from active duty and for at least five years immediately preceding death, OR
- at least one year immediately preceding death if the Veteran was a former prisoner of war.
Your Next StepsThe following information will lead you to the next steps to apply for this program.
Application ProcessSpouses and children should apply for DIC by completing VA Form 21-534EZ or VA Form 21-534, Application for DIC, Death Pension and/or Accrued Benefits by a Surviving Spouse or Child.
Additional information on this program may be obtained from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs using the "Dependents and Survivors' Benefits" factsheet.
Program Contact Information
If you have questions:
- Visit the Inquiry Routing & Information System (IRIS) website to search Frequently Asked Questions or ask a question on-line
- Call 877-294-6380
- Call 711, if you use a Telecommunications Device for the Deaf (TDD)
To apply for additional benefits and view your benefit status, open an eBenefits Premium account. eBenefits is a one-stop source for information on DoD of VA benefits and services. With a free Premium level eBenefits account, Veterans, Servicemembers and their family members can conduct self-service transactions such as checking claim status information, GI Bill enrollment, and obtaining copies of civil service preference letters, Form DD214, and other personal information. For further information and to register for a free Premium level account, visit the eBenefits website.