Managing Agency Veterans Benefits Administration (VBA) http://www.vba.va.gov
Program DescriptionThe Veterans Pension is a needs-based benefit paid to wartime Veterans who meet certain age or non-service connected disability requirements.
General Program RequirementsVeterans may be eligible if he/she:
- was discharged from service under other than dishonorable conditions, AND
- served 90 days or more of active duty with at least 1 day during a period of war time*, AND
- is age 65 or older, OR
- is permanently and totally disabled (not due to own personal misconduct), OR
- is a patient in a nursing home receiving skilled nursing care, OR
- is receiving Social Security disability benefits, AND
- has countable family income that is below the amount set by Congress (unreimbursed medical expenses may reduce countable income), AND net worth is not excessive.
Wartime Service Requirements
|World War I||World War II||Korea||Vietnam||Gulf War|
|04/06/1917 to 07/01/1921||12/07/1941 to 12/31/1946||06/27/1950 to 01/31/1955||02/28/1961 to 05/07/1975
*Between 02/28/1961 to 08/04/1964 had to have served in country Vietnam
|08/02/1990 through a date to be prescribed by Presidential proclamation or law|
National Guard and Reserve members may meet the criteria for establishing Veteran status if he/she performs full-time duty in the Armed Forces other than active duty for training. There are some exceptions.
Commissioned Officers of the Public Health Service and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration are considered to be active duty members and veterans, once discharged.
Your Next StepsThe following information will lead you to the next steps to apply for this benefit.
Application ProcessTo complete an application, use VA Form 21-526, "Veteran's Application for Compensation and/or Pension." You can complete the application online at http://vabenefits.vba.va.gov/vonapp/.
For more specific information, visit http://www.vba.va.gov/VBA/benefits/factsheets/.
Program Contact Information
If you have questions:
- Visit https://iris.custhelp.com/ to search Frequently Asked Questions or ask a question on-line
- Call 1-800-827-1000
- Call 1-800-829-4833, if you are hearing impaired