Program DescriptionThe Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) provides a one-time payment to disabled Veterans of no more than $19,817 toward the purchase of an automobile or other transportation. Additionally, the VA will pay for adaptive equipment, or for repair, replacement, and reinstallation of automobile equipment required because of disability. Payments for adaptive equipment may be made multiple times during the Veteran's life.
General Program RequirementsIn order to qualify for this benefit program, you must have one of the following disabilities as a result of injury or disease incurred or aggravated during active service:
- Loss, or permanent loss of use, of at least one foot; OR
- Loss, or permanent loss of use, of at least one hand; OR
- Permanent impairment of vision of both eyes to a certain degree; OR
- Severe burn injuries resulting from deep, partial, or full thickness burns that cause contracture or limits motion of one or more extremities that preclude effective operation of automobile
You can qualify for adaptive equipment even if you are still on active duty.
Your service length is not considered when the VA determines your eligibility.
National Guard and Reserve members who were activated for Federal military service and later separated are considered to be Veterans.
Commissioned Officers of the Public Health Service and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration are considered to be active duty members and Veterans, once discharged.
Your Next StepsThe following information will lead you to the next steps to apply for this benefit.
Application ProcessFor instructions on how to apply, please visit VA's Compensation 'How to Apply' page.
To complete an application, use VA Form 21-4502, "Application for Automobile or Other Conveyance and Adaptive Equipment."
Program Contact Information
If you have questions:
- Visit the Inquiry Routing & Information System (IRIS) website to search Frequently Asked Questions or ask a question on-line
- Call 1-800-827-1000
- Call 1-800-829-4833, if you are hearing impaired