Benefit Details
New Mexico Weatherization Assistance Program
Managing Agency New Mexico

Program Description

The U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP) provides grants to states, territories, and some Indian tribes to improve the energy efficiency of the homes of low-income families. These governments, in turn, contract with local governments and nonprofit agencies to provide weatherization services to those in need using the latest technologies for home energy upgrades. Households receiving SSI or TANF qualify for New Mexico Weatherization (Energy $mart Program).

Service providers use an energy audit to determine what needs to be done to help reduce energy use in the home and lower utility bills. After the energy audit, the auditor will explain the work that will be done in the home. Typical weatherization work includes:
  • Seal areas around doors, windows and ceilings
  • Add insulation
  • Insulate water heater and hot water pipes
  • Replace incandescent bulbs with CFLs
  • Tune up, repair or replace the furnace or heating unit
  • Replace inefficient refrigerators
  • Install carbon monoxide and smoke detectors
  • Provide energy-saving tips to use after the weatherization work is complete

General Program Requirements

In order to qualify for this program, you must be a resident of the state of New Mexico. Preference may be given to:
  • People over 60 years of age
  • Families with one or more members with a disability
  • Families with children (in most states)

Under DOE guidelines, you are automatically eligible to receive weatherization assistance if you receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF).

Your Next Steps

The following information will lead you to the next steps to apply for this benefit.

Application Process

To apply, please contact your local Weatherization service provider.

For additional contact information, visit the Grantee Contacts page to locate New Mexico's WAP administrator.

Program Contact Information

For more information, please visit New Mexico's Income Support website.

You may also visit the U.S. Department of Energy's Weatherization Assistance Program website for additional information.